Sunday, March 20, 2016

Natural Light Portraits (Redux)

When framing for this project, I wanted to find a location that gave an interesting bouquet and flattering light. The following shots were taken in the stairwell on the 4th floor of the Holland library. The corner of the room had soft exposure on the northern side and a hard light from the eastern exposure. I wanted to try utilizing this light to accomplish a few different lighting scenarios. I ended up achieving a 1:5 split light, a Rembrandt light, and a soft rim. Out of all these photos, my absolute favorite is the final one in the post. I wanted to tell Mally's story as effectively as possible with these portraits, and I feel that this series gets the job done well. The first photo breaks the idea of negative space, and doesn't leave any lead room for the subject in the frame. The other three however utilize the rule of thirds and spacial clarity to their advantages; I just wanted at least one of the photos to break from the conformity and touch on experimental. 

1/250s  f5.6  55mm


1/800s  f5.6  55mm


1/320s  f5.6  55mm

The photo above is hanging on a bit of a soft focus, but I included it regardless. Something about the soft focus forces attention onto the lighting and emphasizes the story of the take.

1/320s  f5.6  55mm

These two portraiture projects have been by far my favorite projects in this class. Working a DSLR is a new experience for me personally, and I feel as though these projects have tested my abilities since the beginning of the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment